County Clerk Jacobs Reminds Families to Track Santa’s Flight Around the World | Community Spirit
Erie County, NY- County Clerk Christopher Jacobs wants to remind children, and their parents, if they want to know Santa’s whereabouts Christmas Eve they can “track” the gift-giving journey through the NORAD Tracks Santa website.
For more than 50 years, NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, which usually spends its time monitoring the air space above the US and Canada for unexplained or criminal aerospace activity, has tracked Santa’s flight using four high-tech systems- radar, satellites, Santa Cams and fighter jets.
“It started when a department store ad accidentally listed the agency's phone number as a way to follow Santa,” said Jacobs. “A NORAD worker who answered a call from a child wondering about Santa's whereabouts decided to follow the ruse and the agency has been involved with the tradition ever since.”
No need to wait until Christmas to visit NORAD’s website, right now the site features a countdown to track Santa, links to fun holiday activities and videos, as well as fun facts about Santa.
"Each and every day throughout the year, all of us here at NORAD work diligently to defend and protect our nations. It is an honor for us to take one day each year to expand our missions to share goodwill and holiday spirit across the globe through the NORAD Tracks Santa program,” said General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr, NORAD Commander.
Jacobs says NORAD will begin tracking Santa at 2 a.m. Eastern Time on December 24th and people can also call the official Santa tracking phone number, 1-877-Hi-NORAD (1-877-446-6723 for live updates.
Children of all ages interested in tracking Santa can do so at www.noradsanta.org, visit the NORAD Tracks Santa Facebook page at www.facebook.com/noradsanta, or follow Santa's progress on Twitter by subscribing to @NoradSanta.
Upcoming Events near Clarence
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Amherst Police Release Photos in Friday Bank Robbery
- Brockport Male arrested; Alledged Mail Fraud, Forgery, Theft of Public Money
- Convicted City of Buffalo Employee Sentenced 6 Months Ordered to repay $9K
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Tributes K9 Crime Fighting Co-workers
- NYSP: Missing Adult Alert: Walter Marsh CANCELED
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014
- Quiz: How Much Do You Know about Social Security?