Bills Player Sends Local Teen To Super Bowl | News
CLARENCE, N.Y. -- A local teen, who is dealing with a devastating loss, is going to the Super Bowl thanks to an NFL star and his classmates at Clarence High School.
This past Saturday, Mark Armstrong's father Bob passed away from a heart attack.
One of Mark's friends noticed Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver Stevie Johnson was holding a Twitter contest to give away two free tickets to Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis.
Johnson said he wanted to, "Bring a smile to someone deseving & unsuspecting."
That prompted dozens and dozens of Clarence students and community members to tweet on Mark's behalf.
Johnson ended up making his decision early, because he was overwhelmed with the outpouring of support from folks in Clarence. Johnson called Mark to tell him he had been chosen.
Mark spoke with 2 On Your Side Wednesday. He thanked his classmates and everyone in Clarence for caring enough to nominate him to win the tickets.
"This really helped," Mark said. "It just made it a lot easier knowing that I have so many supporters and for everyone to do that for me was just the incredible part."
Mark and his brother Dave, who is in college in Florida, will drive to the Super Bowl early Sunday morning, just hours after final farewells to their dad.
"I think of it as a gift that (dad) saved for me," Mark said. "And obviously when my brother and I will be there, (dad) definitely will be there with us."
You can hear much more from Mark, as well as the Athletic Director at Clarence, by watching our full report in the video player from Reporter Michael Wooten and Photojournalist Ben Read.
Upcoming Events near Clarence
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Sent to Hospital after Accident on Millersport Highway
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Amherst Police Release Photos in Friday Bank Robbery
- Brockport Male arrested; Alledged Mail Fraud, Forgery, Theft of Public Money
- Convicted City of Buffalo Employee Sentenced 6 Months Ordered to repay $9K
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Tributes K9 Crime Fighting Co-workers
- NYSP: Missing Adult Alert: Walter Marsh CANCELED
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014
- Quiz: How Much Do You Know about Social Security?