Vesper Scholarship Tournament Honors Late Coach | News
CLARENCE, N.Y. - A tournament that is an enduring tribute took place Saturday at Clarence High School, with the still strong legacy of a beloved wrestling and soccer coach.
High school wrestlers from around the area turned out for the sixth annual Jon Vesper Memorial Tournament. The event raises funds for the scholarships awarded to graduating seniors in the name of Jon Vesper, who passed away suddenly at age 40 from a heart attack in March 2007.
His wife, Jan Vesper-Diver, who was pregnant when he died, has worked with many of his friends and former wrestlers who still cherish his memory.
"The relationships that he sought, that he had with his kids, they looked up to him. He was a mentor to many of them. All of them actually. But he taught them life lessons," said Jan Vesper-Diver. "Some of them you know had parents who had died and he kind of took them under his wing. He loved helping the guys.
So far there have been six winners of the scholarship and they hope to award two more to seniors who wrestled or played soccer at the end of the school year with funds raised through this event.
Upcoming Events near Clarence
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood
- Buffalo, NY Fourth City Employee Pleads Guilty to Theft of Thousands from Parking Meters
- Joint Underage Alcohol Enforcement Effort 15 Pass; 2 Charged
- Better Business Bureau Offers Advice to Homeowners on Roofing Contractors