Wal-Mart Employees Arrested in Shoplifting Investigation | News
CLARENCE, N.Y. - State Police say they have arrested three Wal-Mart employees and another person based on an investigation into a shoplifting ring at the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Transit Road.
Troopers say they were contacted by officials from the store and received evidence from Wal-Mart officials of several employees who were involved in an ongoing scheme of "under-scanning," or "under-ringing" merchandise.
Police said over the past month, the employees allowed other accomplices to go through check-out lines and leave the store without paying for a number of items in their shopping bags.
State Police say they arrested 26-year-old Evelyn Smith, of Buffalo, for Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree, an E Felony, for under-scanning merchandise on at least seven occasions while she was working as a Wal-Mart employee.
Police added that Smith was observed posing as a customer and left the store with under-scanned merchandise by going through the cashier line of one of the other members of the group.
Investigators say they also arrested 21-year-old Tacara Lawrence, or Buffalo, for Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree, an E Felony, for under-scanning merchandise on at least four occasions, while she was working as a Wal-Mart employee.
Troopers say they arrested both 22-year-old Dewayne Harrell, a Wal-Mart employee from Buffalo, and 19-year-old Latasha Morrow, of Buffalo, for Petit Larceny.
State Police say that on some occasions, a cashier would activate a gift card and keep it, swapping it with another card that was not activated, allowing unsuspecting customers to leave the store with a gift card that was not activated.
Police say other arrests are pending and that Walmart estimates that this group of suspects is responsible for the loss and/or theft of more than $7,000.00 dollars in merchandise.
Upcoming Events near Clarence
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money
- Secret Service Grounds a local "Check Kiting" Ring 5 Arrested, Convicted
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood