Wal-Mart Employees Arrested in Shoplifting Investigation | News
CLARENCE, N.Y. - State Police say they have arrested three Wal-Mart employees and another person based on an investigation into a shoplifting ring at the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Transit Road.
Troopers say they were contacted by officials from the store and received evidence from Wal-Mart officials of several employees who were involved in an ongoing scheme of "under-scanning," or "under-ringing" merchandise.
Police said over the past month, the employees allowed other accomplices to go through check-out lines and leave the store without paying for a number of items in their shopping bags.
State Police say they arrested 26-year-old Evelyn Smith, of Buffalo, for Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree, an E Felony, for under-scanning merchandise on at least seven occasions while she was working as a Wal-Mart employee.
Police added that Smith was observed posing as a customer and left the store with under-scanned merchandise by going through the cashier line of one of the other members of the group.
Investigators say they also arrested 21-year-old Tacara Lawrence, or Buffalo, for Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree, an E Felony, for under-scanning merchandise on at least four occasions, while she was working as a Wal-Mart employee.
Troopers say they arrested both 22-year-old Dewayne Harrell, a Wal-Mart employee from Buffalo, and 19-year-old Latasha Morrow, of Buffalo, for Petit Larceny.
State Police say that on some occasions, a cashier would activate a gift card and keep it, swapping it with another card that was not activated, allowing unsuspecting customers to leave the store with a gift card that was not activated.
Police say other arrests are pending and that Walmart estimates that this group of suspects is responsible for the loss and/or theft of more than $7,000.00 dollars in merchandise.
Upcoming Events near Clarence
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Free Class at Kenmore Mercy Hospital Will Highlight Knee Replacement Options
- "Turkish Coffee Night" of the season will be held on Saturday, May 3rd, at 7:00pm
- Turkish Cuisine - Session 2
- Rochester, NY City Employee Indicted on Possesion with Intent to Distrubute Cocaine
- Jamacian Citizen, 31 Pleads Guilty to Aggravated Identity Fraud
- Show Them the Love: Low-Cost, High-Value Employee Benefits
- What will happen to my digital assets if I die or become incapacitated?
- What can I do to protect my username and password information from computer hackers?
- Should You Roll Your 401(k) to an IRA?
- IRS Reverses Long-Standing Position on One-Rollover-per-Year Rule