Our network

Photo Gallery | Newly Installed Stained Glass Windows

The New Payne Avenue Christian Church has been illuminated with a legacy of faith.  Historic stained glass windows fashioned by the Frohe Art Glass Company more than half a century ago, returned to the new home of the church this month when the Bovard Studios of Iowa installed them in the sanctuary at 1451 Payne Avenue in North Tonawanda.

Bovard removed the windows from the church’s former home at Payne Avenue and Wheatfield Street in 2003 before the building was sold.  They were reconditioned and installed in oak framed light boxes for future installation as art pieces.  The windows remained in storage until the church was ready with a new home for their installation.

Seven of the stained glass images feature scenes from the Gospels, including images of Jesus Christ calming the waters, healing a leper, his Baptism by John the Baptist, prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane, his sermon on the mount and last supper.  The largest and eighth features Jesus and his disciples at his Last Supper. 

The windows were a special project originally undertaken by Rev. John W. Douglas who served as Pastor of Payne Avenue Christian Church from 1950-55. Rev. Douglas delivered sermons on each of the stained glass portrayals in the weeks following their installation.  The project culminated with the a rendering of Leonardo DaVinci’s “Lord’s Supper”, designed and installed in 1955 at a cost of $2,500.   Leah Schultz and R. Paul Benton were married int eh church that summer, and continue as members today following the return of the windows which were newly installed when they first said their vows under those inspired images.

The windows were dedicated during a worship service on July 10, 1955.

They have been a focus of the church since it began its exodus from Payne & Wheatfield Street, becoming The Church at Shawnee Landing.  the Church undertook a mission to develop and build affordable Town Homes on a campus at Shawnee Road in Wheatfield, along with a new church complex.

The project endured an arduous planning and construction period and encountered significant controversy, delay and additional cost over a period of some seven years.  The Church came to the conclusion that it could no longer afford to build in Wheatfield and instead opted to buy the former St. Joseph Parish campus on Payne Avenue in North Tonawanda.  The move was completed in July of 2010.

 

 

Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?
Family Owned and Run Since 1965